Kidd v. Hardy, No. 12-2614 (7th Cir. 2013)

Annotate this Case
Justia Opinion Summary

A 1980 fire in a Chicago apartment building killed 10 children. Kidd became a suspect following his arrest on unrelated charges. At his 1987 trial on charges of arson and 10 counts of murder, Strunck, a public defender, represented him. Kidd was convicted and sentenced to death. In 1992, the Illinois Supreme Court reversed the conviction and remanded for a new trial. At his new trial, Kidd waived assistance of counsel and represented himself, despite the judge’s repeated warnings and advice. Kidd expressed dissatisfaction with the public defender and requested that Dan Webb or Jenner & Block represent him. Kidd was unable to find private counsel. Strunck represented him at the penalty phase and presented evidence that Kidd was borderline mentally retarded. Kidd was convicted again and is serving a life sentence. In unsuccessful state postconviction proceedings, before the same judge who presided over his trial, Kidd argued that the court should have ordered a formal competency hearing because Kidd was taking psychotropic drugs under medical direction and that his waiver of counsel was not voluntary. The state denied his habeas petition. The Seventh Circuit affirmed, rejecting Sixth Amendment arguments.

Download PDF
In the United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit ____________________  No. 12 2614  LEONARD KIDD,  Petitioner Appellant,  v.  MICHAEL LEMKE, Warden,  Respondent Appellee.  ____________________  Appeal from the United States District Court for the  Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.  No. 1:11 cv 06839   Samuel Der Yeghiayan, Judge.  ____________________  ARGUED OCTOBER 3, 2013   DECIDED NOVEMBER 1, 2013  ____________________  Before POSNER, FLAUM, and WILLIAMS, Circuit Judges.  FLAUM, Circuit Judge. Leonard Kidd was convicted of ten  counts of murder in 1987 and sentenced to death. On appeal,  his conviction was reversed and the case was remanded for a  new  trial.  At  his  new  trial,  Kidd  waived  the  assistance  of  counsel and represented himself, despite the trial judge s re peated warnings and advice. Kidd was convicted again, and  is  currently  serving  a  life  sentence.  He  now  petitions  for  a  writ  of  habeas  corpus,  arguing  that  his  Sixth  Amendment  2  No. 12 2614  rights  were  violated  because  his  decision  to  represent  him self  was  neither  knowing  nor  voluntary.  The  district  court  denied Kidd s habeas petition, and we affirm.  I. Background  On October 28, 1980, a fire broke out in a Chicago apart ment building, killing ten children. Kidd became a suspect in  1984,  following  his  arrest  on  unrelated  charges.1  He  was  charged  with  arson  and  ten  counts  of  murder,  and  his  first  trial  was  in  1987.  Robert  Strunck,  a  public  defender,  repre sented him. Kidd was convicted on all counts and sentenced  to  death.  In  1992,  the  Illinois  Supreme  Court  reversed  his  conviction due to trial errors and remanded for a new trial.  We  now  set  out  this  case s  procedural  history  at  some  length.  Although  we  limited  Kidd s  current  appeal  to  the  voluntariness of his waiver, Kidd draws upon several of his  earlier arguments, and earlier proceedings are relevant here.  A. Kidd s waiver of counsel on retrial  After the remand, Kidd filed a pro se motion seeking ap pointment  of  counsel  other  than  Strunck.  At  a  July  1992  hearing, Kidd asked the court to appoint  Dan Webb or Jen ner  &  Block   as  his  new  attorney.  When  the  court  asked  why, Kidd said that his was a capital case and that he would  prefer for one of them to represent me.  Strunck worked for  the public defender s office and Kidd  would rather for any one outside of the office to handle this case now.  The court  told Kidd that it would not appoint Webb or Jenner & Block  to represent him, as he had  very competent  counsel. Kidd                                                    1 In this unrelated case, Kidd was ultimately convicted of arson and four  counts of murder.  No. 12 2614  3 responded that the public defender  did a well good job on  this case,  but continued,  [a]ll I am saying is that I feel that  it  would  be  my  best  interest,  I  would  feel  more  secure  and  comfortable, you know I don t want to have to go back on  death  row.   The  court  told  Kidd  that  Webb  or  Jenner  &  Block would have to represent him pro bono and then tabled  the issue. Ultimately, Kidd was unable to find private coun sel.  Kidd s  case  was  set  to  go  to  trial  in  September  1994 more than two years after the remand. On August 23, 1994,  Strunck  told  the  court  that  Kidd  wanted  to  proceed  pro  se.  As the colloquy that followed is critical to our waiver analy sis, we set it out at some length:  STRUNCK: Mr. Kidd has also informed me af ter  a  recent  jail  visit  that  it s  his  desire  in  this  matter to go, pro se.  ¦  Obviously,  the  relationship,  I  believe,  goes  back approximately 10 years.   Now,  I  have  explained  to  him  that  absolutely,  he has a right to go pro se. It is not probably  not  in  his  best  interest.  That  it  goes  without  saying, that Leonard Kidd is not a licensed at torney, in the State of Illinois or any other state  nor  does  he  have  any  formal  legal  education,  legal training nor has he tried any cases.  Basically, Judge, I have informed him that this  is obviously not in his best interest to proceed,  pro se. He wishes to address the Court on that  issue.   4  No. 12 2614  Your Honor, obviously, he has a right to do as  he pleases.  COURT:  It  would  be  disruptive  or  [a]  hin drance to an orderly trial. Go ahead, Mr. Kidd?  KIDD:  Yeah,  I  feel  it  is  in  my  best  interest  to  go, pro se.  COURT:  Well,  of  course,  I  would  disagree.  I  think you would be absolutely and totally fool ish to undertake this trial without a good law yer, an experienced lawyer in this case. A law yer who has already [fought] one trial for you  and  knows  the  case  and  has  always  been  ex tremely  vigorous  and  energetic  and  conscien tious in trying to defend you.  You  know  very  well  that  you  can  receive  the  death  penalty  on  this  case.  You  were  for  20  years in the Illinois Department of Corrections  through  natural  life  to  the  death  penalty,  and  you  would  be  called  upon  to  make  your  own  arguments, to make your own objections, gath er  your  own  legal  written  instructions  at  the  end of the case, to introduce evidence.   You have, I think, a good idea from your trials,  all that it takes to conduct a trial, to conduct a  defense. And you would be called upon to do  so.  KIDD: Yeah.  No. 12 2614  5 COURT: Well so, I really urge you not to try  to  undertake  to  defend  yourself,  but  to  stay  with your lawyer.  KIDD:  It looks like  that s my  only way  out. It  looks like my best way out, though.  COURT:  Think  about  it  again  and  see  if  you  still  have  the  same  thought  on  September  7th,  which  is  the  trial  date.  It  is  going  to  go  ahead  on  September  7th,  whether  you  are  your  own  lawyer  or  you  wish  Mr.  Strunck  to  keep  de fending you.  But  particularly  in  this  case,  which  is  not  a  simple  case,  requires  presentation  of  a  good  cross  examination,  involves  the  death  penalty,  which  calls  all  kinds  of  things  that  you  know  about  since  you  went  through  this  trial  al ready.  I have real doubt whether you can do it your self.   KIDD:  People  sit  right  there  on  the  stand  and  lied  to  you.  I  do  it  myself.  I  ain t  going  to  go  through what I did.  COURT: We ll see. You better rethink it. We ll  see you September 7th.  Kidd  then  asked  for  copies  of  the  transcript   and  a  court  order  for  the  law  library.  When  the  government  discussed  changes to its witness list, Kidd asked whether he needed to  prepare a list as well. He told the court that he was definitely  going  to  add  witnesses.  The  court  then  gave  the  parties  a  6  No. 12 2614  deadline;  Kidd  said  the  date  was  cutting  it  short   but  he  would  try  his  best  to  meet  it.  When  the  court  pointed  out  that it would be difficult for Kidd to meet deadlines while in  custody,  Kidd  responded,  [b]ut  sometimes  you  have  no  choice, when people sit right there on the stand and lie, too.    The court followed up with Kidd s pro se request a week  later, on August 31, 1994:  COURT:  Mr.  Kidd,  do  you  still  have  that  in  mind,  or  are  you  agreeable  to  having  Mr.  Strunck continue to represent you?  KIDD: I still have that in mind.  COURT:  You  realize  that  this  case  is  going  ahead to trial next week, so you would have to  be  ready  to  represent  yourself  next  week?  Do  you understand that?  KIDD: Yes.  COURT:  ¦ You re charged with ten counts of  murder  and  a  count  of  arson,  aggravated  ar son, I believe. And I must tell you then the na ture  of  those  charges,  which  I  think  you  al ready know since you went through a trial on  them.  Secondly,  you  should  also  know  that  on  the  murder charges, the minimum is 20 years, and  the maximum is the death penalty. You under stand  that  that s  the  minimum  and  the  maxi mum. 20 years is the minimum; the death pen alty is the maximum.   No. 12 2614  If there s a penitentiary sentence, the sentences  can run concurrent, together at  the same time,  or consecutive, one to follow the other.  You  also  must  be  informed,  and  I m  sure  you  already know, that you have a right to counsel,  and if you are indigent, without money, coun sel,  Mr.  Strunck,  the  public  defender,  will  be  appointed for you. Do you understand?  KIDD: Yeah.  COURT:  Now,  the  other  thing,  as  I  think  I  mentioned  to  you  before,  if  we  go  to  trial  on  this  case  and  you  act  as  your  own  lawyer,  you re  going  to  be  responsible  for  your  de fense. You re going to be responsible to present  evidence  according  to  the  rules  of  evidence  and the rules of procedure.   You re  going  to  be  responsible  for  cross examining witnesses against you. You re going  to  be  responsible  for  bringing  in  appropriate  instructions that you might want, legal instruc tions.  All  the  kinds  of  things  you  saw  your  lawyer  do during the first trial, that s your re sponsibility.   You can t order Mr. Strunck to do this for you  and then order him to sit down, and you ll car ry  on  from  there.  You re  responsible  for  your  own defense. That means presenting evidence,  it means cross examining, it means introducing  possibly exhibits into the case, it means having  7 8  No. 12 2614  legal instructions at the end of the case. Do you  understand that?  KIDD: Yes.  COURT: And knowing all those things, do you  still wish to represent yourself?  KIDD: Yeah.  The  court  then  allowed  Kidd  to  proceed  pro  se,  with  Strunck as standby counsel. Kidd was again convicted of all  charges. At Kidd s request, Strunck represented him during  the penalty phase of his capital case.  B. Penalty phase and post trial motions  During the penalty phase, the defense presented mitiga tion  evidence.  Dr.  Linda  Wetzel  found  that  Kidd s  1993  IQ  test score, 73, placed him in the borderline mentally retarded  range  according  to  one  accepted  classification  scheme,  and  at  the  high  end  of  the  mentally  retarded  range  of  intelli gence   according  to  another.  Moreover,  Kidd  had  a  seizure  disorder and  suffered from  impaired brain functions.  His  memory  and concentration were  very poor; if sentences be came  too  complex,  Kidd  needed  repetition  and  for  the  speaker  to  slow  down.  However,  she  found  that  Kidd  was  good  at  expressing  himself.   Another  defense  expert,  Dr.  George  Savarese,  testified  that  Kidd  had  been  diagnosed  as  mentally  retarded  three  times  during  his  youth  (after  IQ  tests of 64, 67, and 63 in 1968, 1971, and 1976, respectively).  The parties also stipulated that the state s psychiatrist ex amined Kidd in 1985 and said he was malingering. Ultimate ly, Kidd was again sentenced to death. (In 2003, Illinois Gov No. 12 2614  9 ernor  George  Ryan  commuted  all  death  sentences,  Kidd s  included, to life in prison without the possibility of parole.)  Strunck and Kidd both filed post trial motions for acquit tal, which the trial court denied. In his pro se motion, Kidd  claimed that during his trial he used cocaine, marijuana, and  the  antidepressant  Sinequan,  which  he  said  he  took  under  medical  direction.  He  asserted  that  Sinequan  made  him  drowsy during trial. He did not specify which drugs, if any,  he had used at the time of his waiver. The trial court did not  find Kidd s account credible, saying that Kidd  was compe tent, was totally mentally fit, he was sober as anyone in the  Courtroom, and he didn t do a bad job as his own lawyer.   C. Direct appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court   Kidd appealed to the Illinois Supreme Court.2 He argued  that  under  state  law,  he  should  have  received  a  pretrial  competency  hearing  due  to  his  use  of  psychotropic  drugs.  Illinois  law  mandates  that  a  defendant  receive  a  formal  competency hearing when taking psychotropic drugs under  medical  direction,  see  Ill.  Code  Crim.  Pro.  §  104 21(a);  how ever, the court found that the record did not clearly establish  that Kidd had taken Sinequan under medical direction. The  court  further  found  that  Dilantin an  anti seizure  medica tion that Kidd claimed he had also taken throughout the tri al did not qualify as a psychotropic drug.   Kidd  also  argued  that  he  did  not  knowingly  and  intelli gently  waive  his  right  to  counsel  because  he  was  a  brain damaged  and  epileptic  man  who  depended  on  anti seizure                                                    2  Attorney  Strunck  did  not  handle  Kidd s  direct  appeal,  nor  any  other  stage of Kidd s proceedings.  10  No. 12 2614  medication  and  who  also  received  anti depressants.   His  condition prevented him from making a knowing and intel ligent  choice,  he  argued.  In  addition  to  his  claims  of  drug  use, Kidd relied on Dr. Wetzel and Dr. Savarese s testimony  about his mental impairment and the possibility that he was  mentally  retarded.  The  Illinois  Supreme  Court  noted  that  there was disputed evidence in the record as to which medi cations Kidd was taking and at what times. It also found that  the parties  experts had disputed the extent of Kidd s mental  impairment,  if  any. The court thus  held that it was  unable  to  say  that  [Kidd s]  purported  mental  limitations  and  disa bilities precluded his knowing and intelligent waiver.    D. Postconviction proceedings in the trial court  At  the  initial  stage  of  his  state  postconviction  proceed ings before  the  same  judge  who  presided  over  his  trial Kidd  renewed  his  argument  that  the  court  should  have  or dered  a  formal  competency  hearing  because  Kidd  was  tak ing  psychotropic  drugs  under  medical  direction.  Kidd  also  argued that his waiver of counsel was not voluntary.  In  arguing  that  he  should  have  received  a  competency  hearing,  Kidd  produced  medical  records  showing  that  he  was  indeed  taking  Sinequan  at  the  time  of  his  August  1994  waiver  and  throughout  his  second  trial.  In  addition,  Kidd  included a report by Nancy Cowardlin, who concluded that  Kidd had severely subaverage intelligence and lagged func tionally.  Kidd  also  submitted  the  affidavit  of  Dr.  Deborah  Mash.  After  reviewing  the  trial  record,  Kidd s  medical  rec ords,  and  his  psychiatric  and  psychological  reports,  Dr.  Mash  diagnosed  Kidd  with  Organic  Brain  Dysfunction  and  mental retardation. She found that Kidd had been prescribed  Sinequan  throughout  August  and  September  of  1994,  and  No. 12 2614  11 that  the  Sinequan  would  have  significantly  slowed  Kidd s  cognition  and  thought  processes.  Sinequan s  effect  on  Mr.  Kidd  required that a fitness evaluation be conducted before  trial  to  determine  Mr.  Kidd s  competence  to  waive  counsel,  his  ability  to  understand  the  nature  of  the  charges  against  him, and his ability to assist in his own defense.  Dr. Mash  also  found  that  the  medical  records  showed  that  Kidd  had  taken Dilantin throughout his trial, which constituted an ad ditional reason that a competency hearing should have been  conducted before Kidd s waiver and trial.  The trial court was not persuaded by this new evidence.  It  found  nothing  that  called  into  question  its  conclusion and the Illinois Supreme Court s conclusion that Kidd was  at all times competent to waive counsel and stand trial.  Kidd  also  argued,  for  the  first  time,  that  his  waiver  of  counsel was involuntary. He said that he had no choice but  to  represent  himself  because  of  Strunck s  ineffective  assis tance  and  the  trial  court s  refusal  to  appoint  other  counsel.  Kidd claimed that Strunck had abandoned his duty of loyal ty  to  Kidd  and  was  unwilling  to  prepare  adequately  for  Kidd s second trial.  Kidd submitted several affidavits in support of his claim.  His new public defender, Richard Cunningham, said that in  June  1988 before  Kidd s  first  trial Cunningham  observed  a  handwritten  sign  in  Strunck s  office  that  read  Leonard  Kidd 14, Society 0. 3 Cunningham added that when he first  contacted  Strunck  to  discuss  Kidd s  case,  Strunck  became                                                    3  In  the  instant  case,  Kidd was  charged with  killing  ten  people  in 1980.  He was also charged with killing four other people in a later, unrelated  incident.  12  No. 12 2614  angry, used profanity to describe Kidd, and said that Kidd s  going  pro  se  was  his  little  scam.   Kidd  also  submitted  an  affidavit  from  another  detainee  at  the  same  jail,  Ronald  Kliner,  who  said  that  he  had  observed  hostile  interactions  between Strunck and Kidd. After one conversation in which  Strunck refused to interview or call at trial certain witnesses  whom Kidd suggested, Strunck allegedly told Kidd,  If you  don t  like  me  being  your  lawyer do  it  yourself.  I ll  ride  with  you  on  the  helicopter  to  your  execution!   Kidd  also  submitted  his  own  affidavit.  He  said  that  Strunck  tried  to  convince  him  to  plead  guilty;  that  Strunck  became  angry  when  Kidd  refused  to  do  so;  that  Strunck  said  the  jury  would  find  Kidd  guilty  again;  that  Strunck  rejected  Kidd s  trial advice; and that Strunck said he would just  go through  the motions  at trial. Under these circumstances, Kidd said,  he felt that he had no choice but to represent himself.  The  trial  court  rejected  Kidd s  claim  that  his  waiver  of  counsel was involuntary. The court said it had observed no  antagonism between Kidd and Strunck at any time after the  remand.  In  fact,  the  court  stated  that  Strunck  had  fought   for Kidd in both trials. The court noted that Kidd had invited  Strunck to return as his counsel during the sentencing phase  and for post trial motions. Even if Strunck did hold personal  animosity  toward  Kidd,  the  court  reasoned,  that  did  not  mean he had given such ineffective assistance that Kidd had  no choice but to represent himself.   E. Postconviction proceedings in the Illinois Appellate  Court  Kidd  appealed  to  the  Illinois  Appellate  Court,  raising  two  arguments.  First,  he  argued  that  the  trial  court  should  have ordered a competency hearing because there was suffi No. 12 2614  13 cient  evidence  at  the  time  of  his  waiver  to  support  a  bona  fide doubt  of his competency. See Ill. Code Crim. Pro. § 104 11(a). The Illinois Appellate Court held that Kidd procedur ally defaulted this claim by not raising it on direct appeal. In  any  event,  the  court  found,  the  additional  proof  of  Kidd s  use of medication and mental impairment was insufficient to  establish  a  bona  fide  doubt  of  his  fitness  at  the  time  of  the  waiver.  The  court  noted  that  there  was  no  evidence  that  Kidd displayed any erratic behavior. It emphasized that  af ter  over  two  years  of  observation,  the  trial  court  concluded  that  defendant  was  competent,  totally  mentally  fit  and  his  efforts as pro se counsel supported that finding.   Second,  Kidd  renewed  his  argument  that  he  had  no  choice  but  to  proceed  pro  se  because  Strunck  was  unpre pared  and  had  abandoned   him.  The  Illinois  Appellate  Court  also  rejected  this  theory.  It  found  that  the  record  did  not support Kidd s claims about Strunck s ineffectiveness. It  reasoned that Strunck had already gone through one trial, so  he  could  not  be  considered  unprepared.  And  it  dismissed  Kidd s  contentions  about  Strunck  not  calling  certain  wit nesses  as  mere  disagreements  over  trial  strategy.  It  further  found  that  Kidd s  allegations  of  Strunck s  hostility  toward  Kidd  were  contradicted  by  the  trial  court s  observations  of  Strunck when he acted as counsel and standby counsel.   In  sum,  the  Appellate  Court  found  no  reason  to  doubt  the trial court s assessment that Kidd s waiver was knowing  and  voluntary:  The  record  indicates  that  defendant  was  properly questioned and admonished by the trial court and  simply  decided  that  he  would  be  best  suited  to  represent  himself  against  the  witnesses  he  believed  were  lying.   The  Illinois Supreme Court declined to hear Kidd s appeal.  14  No. 12 2614  F. Habeas review  Kidd then filed a habeas petition in federal district court.  First,  he  raised  his  competency  claim  again.  Second,  he  ar gued that his waiver was not knowing and voluntary.   The  district court denied  the  petition. It  agreed  with the  Illinois  Appellate  Court  that  Kidd s  competency  claim  was  procedurally defaulted. Nonetheless, it found the claim mer itless:  the record does not reflect a basis for the trial court to  have found a bona fide doubt as to Kidd s fitness to proceed  pro se.  The district court agreed with the Illinois Appellate  Court s  assessment  of  Kidd s  lack  of  erratic  behavior,  the  conflicting  expert  testimony  about  his  mental  capabilities,  and the fact that he had changed his story about drug use.  In  rejecting  Kidd s  argument  that  his  waiver  was  not  knowing and voluntary, the district court found that the Illi nois Appellate Court s conclusion was neither an unreason able application of Supreme Court precedent, nor based up on  any  unreasonable  finding  of  fact.  The  district  court  re viewed  the  trial  court s  discussions  with  Kidd  before  his  waiver  and  concluded  that  the  record  clearly  indicate[s]  that Kidd was cognizant of what he was doing.    We limited Kidd s current appeal to the issue of whether  his waiver of counsel was knowing and voluntary.  II. Discussion  We  may  grant  a  writ  of  habeas  corpus  only  if  the  peti tioner s  custody  is  in  violation  of  the  Constitution  or  laws  or  treaties  of  the  United  States.   28  U.S.C.  § 2254(a).  Where  the state court adjudicated the petitioner s claim on the mer its,  its  decision  must  either  be  (1)  contrary  to,  or  involve[]  an  unreasonable  application  of,  clearly  established  Federal  No. 12 2614  15 law, as determined by the Supreme Court,  or (2) have  re sulted  in  a  decision  that  was  based  on  an  unreasonable  de termination of the facts in light of the evidence presented in  the state court.  Id. § 2254(d)(1) (2). The state court s factual  findings  are  presumed  correct,  and  rebutting  them  requires  clear and convincing evidence. Sturgeon v. Chandler, 552 F.3d  604, 612 (7th Cir. 2009). If the petitioner can show that a state  court s  decision  was  unreasonable  under  § 2254(d),  we  re view the petitioner s arguments de novo. See Williams v. Tay lor, 529 U.S. 362, 406 (2000). Otherwise, we defer to the state  court s  decision.  We  review  the  final  reasoned  opinion  by  the  state  courts in  this  case,  the  Illinois  Appellate  Court s  decision denying postconviction relief. See Charlton v. Davis,  439 F.3d 369, 374 (7th Cir. 2006).  Kidd argues that the Illinois Appellate Court unreasona bly applied Supreme Court precedent as to what constitutes  a knowing and voluntary waiver. We must deny the writ if  we can posit arguments or theories that could have support ed the state court s decision, and if fairminded jurists could  disagree  about  whether  those  arguments  or  theories  are  in consistent with Supreme Court holdings. Cullen v. Pinholster,  131 S. Ct. 1388, 1402 (2011).  A. Sufficiency of the trial court s warnings  The  Sixth  Amendment  guarantees  a  criminal  defendant  the right to counsel at all critical stages of the criminal pro cess,   Iowa  v.  Tovar,  541  U.S.  77,  80 81  (2004),  but  also  the  right  to  proceed  without  counsel  when  he  voluntarily  and  intelligently  elects  to  do  so.   Faretta  v.  California,  422  U.S.  806,  807  (1975).  The  defendant s  waiver  of  counsel  must  be  knowing, intelligent, and voluntary. Tovar, 541 U.S. at 88.   16  No. 12 2614  The  Supreme  Court  has  said  that  a  waiver  is  knowing  and intelligent  when the defendant  knows what he is do ing and his choice is made with eyes open.  Id. (quoting Ad ams v. United States ex rel. McCann, 317 U.S. 269, 279 (1942)).  However,  the  Court  has  not  ¦  prescribed  any  formula  or  script to  be  read  to a  defendant  who  states that he  elects  to  proceed  without  counsel.   Id.  Instead,  the  Court  has  in structed that  [t]he information a defendant must possess in  order  to  make  an  intelligent  election  ¦  will  depend  on  a  range of case specific factors, including the defendant s edu cation  or  sophistication,  the  complex  or  easily  grasped  na ture of the charge, and the stage of the proceeding.  Id. (cit ing Johnson v. Zerbst, 304 U.S. 458, 464 (1938)).  Under this standard, the trial court s warnings were suf ficient. The court explicitly warned Kidd about  the hazards  ahead.  Id. at 89. In their first colloquy, the judge explained  to  Kidd  that  the  case  was  complex,  the  potential  conse quences  were  grave,  the  time frame  before  trial  was  brief,  and  the  challenges  of  representing  himself  were  many.  The  judge told Kidd that he would need to perform all the tasks  that  his  attorney,  Strunck,  had  performed  at  the  first  trial.  The judge advised Kidd against proceeding pro se, told him  to rethink this major decision, and gave him a week to do so.  One week later, they engaged in another colloquy. The judge  again  emphasized  the  short  timeline,  the  seriousness  of  the  charges, the  fact  that Kidd faced the  death  penalty, and  the  complexity of conducting his own defense. The court added  that Kidd had the right to a lawyer, even if he could not af ford  one.  The  court s warnings  rigorous[ly]  conveyed   the  dangers of Kidd s choice. Id. (quoting Patterson v. Illinois, 487  U.S. 285, 298 (1988) (internal quotation marks omitted)).  No. 12 2614  17 B. Kidd s subjective understanding  Kidd  argues  that  the  trial  court  did  not  sufficiently  de termine  whether  Kidd  subjectively  understood  its  warnings.  Even  if  a  person  of  ordinary  intelligence  would  have  real ized the import of the court s warnings, Kidd contends, the  court  did  not  do  enough  to  confirm  that  Kidd  himself  took  any meaning from them.  We  first  note  that  the  defendant s  competence  to  waive  counsel  is  a  separate  inquiry  from  whether  the  defendant s  waiver is knowing and voluntary.  The focus of a competen cy inquiry is the defendant s mental capacity; the question is  whether  he  has  the  ability  to  understand  the  proceedings.   Godinez v. Moran, 509 U.S. 389, 401 n.12 (1993).  The purpose  of the  knowing and voluntary  inquiry, by contrast, is to de termine whether the defendant actually does understand the  significance  and  consequences  of  a  particular  decision  and  whether the decision is uncoerced.  Id.  Kidd  has  already  lost  on  his  competency  claim.  The  Illi nois Appellate Court held that the trial court had no reason  to doubt his fitness to waive counsel; accordingly, the court  committed  no  error  by  failing  to  order  a  competency  hear ing.  See  Godinez,  509  U.S.  at  401  n.13  ( [A]  competency  de termination  is  necessary  only  when  a  court  has  reason  to  doubt  the  defendant s  competence. ).  The  state  courts  also  found  that  Kidd  was,  in  fact,  competent  at  the  time  of  his  waiver and throughout trial, and our review does not extend  to that determination.  But  even  accepting  that  Kidd  had  the  ability  to  under stand  the  significance  and  consequences  of  his  waiver,  the  question remains whether he actually understood the gravi 18  No. 12 2614  ty  of  his  decision.  Kidd  argues  that  the  trial  court  did  not  sufficiently  ascertain  this  fact.  He  suggests  that  if  the  trial  court  had  conducted  a  meaningful  inquiry  into  his  medical  history, current health, and mental capabilities, it might have  learned  that  he  had  serious  cognitive  disabilities  and  was  taking potentially mind altering medications.   The  Supreme  Court  was  clear  in  Godinez  that  a  court  is  not  required  to  make  a  competency  determination  in  every  case in which a defendant seeks to waive counsel. 509 U.S. at  401  n.13.  However,  Kidd  seems  to  be  calling  for  something  less  than  a  full fledged  competency  hearing.  He  suggests  that the trial court should have asked him some questions de signed to ascertain his ability to comprehend information questions  about  his  education,  mental  health  background,  current  medical  conditions,  or  whether  he  was  on  medica tion.  The  trial  court  did  not  ask  any  of  these  more  targeted  questions in either waiver hearing. Instead, it explained the  significance of the waiver and Kidd s right to counsel, and at  various  times  paused  and  asked  Kidd  whether  he  under stood.  Kidd  responded  in  the  affirmative  each  time.  In  Kidd s view, the trial court  solely relied on Kidd s word.   Kidd  faces  a  substantial  hurdle  in  arguing  that  the  trial  court  should  have  done  more:  the  combination  of  (1)  the  standard  in  the  Antiterrorism  and  Effective  Death  Penalty  Act of 1996 (AEDPA) and (2) the Supreme Court s somewhat  indeterminate guidance in this area. Under AEDPA, a court  conducting  reasonableness  review  focuses  on  whether  the  state court s application of clearly established federal law is  objectively unreasonable,  not  whether  it  applied  clearly  estab lished  federal  law  correctly.   McCarthy  v.  Pollard,  656  F.3d  478,  483  (7th  Cir.  2011).  Although  the  Supreme  Court  has  No. 12 2614  19 called for a trial court s pre waiver procedures to be  rigor ous,  Patterson, 487 U.S. at 298, the Court  has not provided  extensive direction on the nature of the rigorous restrictions  ¦  and  procedures  that  a  court  must  observe.   Smith  v.  Grams,  565  F.3d  1037,  1046  (7th  Cir.  2009)  (brackets  and  in ternal  quotation  marks  omitted).  Therefore,  we  have  said  that a  trial  court s  failure to formally inquire  into  a defend ant s background and subjective understanding is  not fatal   to finding a valid waiver. United States v. Todd, 424 F.3d 525,  533 (7th Cir. 2005). Instead, we look to the specific facts and  circumstances  of  each  case  to  determine  whether  the  trial  court was justified in concluding that the defendant s waiver  was  knowing.  See  Johnson,  304  U.S.  at  464  ( The  determina tion of whether there has been an intelligent waiver of right  to  counsel  must  depend,  in  each  case,  upon  the  particular  facts and circumstances surrounding that case, including the  background, experience, and conduct of the accused. ).  Under  this  approach,  the  trial  court s  evaluation  of  Kidd s  subjective  understanding  was  sufficiently  thorough.  Kidd cannot identify one specific fact that should have alert ed the court to his allegedly impaired faculties. There simply  were  no  red  flags,  before  or  after  the  waiver.  As  the  state  courts  repeatedly  noted,  Kidd  never  displayed  any  erratic  behavior. The trial court found him lucid and responsive at  all times. Moreover, Kidd does not allege that he or Strunck  told the trial court that he was on medication until the post trial  stage,  at  which  point  the  trial  court  did  not  believe  Kidd. Kidd insists that because the court  was dealing with  an epileptic, brain damaged, mentally retarded and mentally  ill defendant,  it should have done more. But the court had  no  reason  to  know  that  there  was  any  possibility  that  Kidd  did not understand the significance of his actions.  20  No. 12 2614  Several  considerations  support  the  trial  judge s  conclu sion.  First,  Kidd  represented  his  waiver  as  a  strategic  deci sion. He told the judge on multiple  occasions  that it  was  in  his  best interest  to represent himself because, in his view,  witnesses had committed perjury during his first trial. When  a  defendant s  choice  appears  to  be  a  strategic  decision  ¦  made  so  that  he  could  pursue  the  case  as  he  desired,   it  tends to show that the choice was intelligently made. United  States v. Volpentesta, 727 F.3d 666, 678 (7th Cir. 2013). Second,  throughout his pretrial hearings, Kidd demonstrated that he  was lucid and had some awareness of what conducting a de fense required. He took steps unprompted to prepare for  trial. During the August 23rd hearing, he asked the court for  the transcript and a pass to the law library. He paid attention  during  the  court s  discussion  of  the  government s  witness  list,  and  interrupted  to  ask  whether  he  would  need  to  pre pare  a  witness  list,  too.  He  expressed  dismay  at  a  deadline  the court gave him, but said he would try his best to meet it.  All of these statements tended to show that Kidd understood  what  was  going  on  and  what  he  was  agreeing  to.  Finally,  Kidd had already been through two capital murder trials; in  fact, he had been through this exact trial before. A  defend ant s prior experience with the judicial system tends to show  that he understood that the charge against him was  serious  and  that  he  was  accepting  a  risk  by  representing  himself.   Todd, 424 F.3d at 533.  We  have  said  that  Johnson  v.  Zerbst s  waiver  standard  can be met without a demonstration that the accused has a  deep understanding of how counsel could assist him.  Unit ed States v. Hill, 252 F.3d 919, 925 (7th Cir. 2001). This is not  to discount the  serious and weighty responsibility  that tri al courts have in determining whether a defendant knowing No. 12 2614  21 ly  waived  a  constitutional  right.  Von  Moltke  v.  Gillies,  332  U.S. 708, 723 (1948).  This responsibility requires  a penetrat ing and comprehensive examination of all the circumstances  under which such a [waiver] is tendered.  Id. at 724. But the  Constitution  only  requires  the  court  to  investigate  as  thor oughly as the particular circumstances of the case require. Id.  Here,  the  trial  court s  investigation  was  as  thorough  as  the  circumstances called for and in any event, it was not objec tively  unreasonable  for  the  Illinois  Appellate  Court  to  find  the trial court s investigation sufficient.4  C. Whether Kidd s condition prevented him from making  a knowing and intelligent choice  Kidd  also  argues  that  his  condition  did,  in  fact,  prevent  him from making a knowing and intelligent choice. He states  that  [c]learly, the drugs prescribed and taken had an effect  on whether or not [he] knowingly and voluntarily waived  ¦  his right to counsel in his capital murder trial.  He also points  to  the  expert  opinions  regarding  his  low  IQ,  the  possibility  that he is mentally retarded, and his severe learning disabili ties all  of  which  establish,  he  claims,  that  he  lacked  the  requisite mental capacity to waive counsel.  Kidd is precluded from arguing that he was not compe tent  to  waive  counsel;  he  can  only  argue  that  although  he  had the ability to understand his choice, his IQ and medica                                                   4  Indeed,  if  we  held  that  the  trial  court  was  required  to  inquire  into  Kidd s  mental  and  medical  history  on  the  facts  of  this  case,  we  would  arguably be mandating that trial judges always ask these kinds of ques tions  when  a  defendant  seeks  to  represent  himself.  That  would  be  the  kind  of  one size fits all  script  that  the  Supreme  Court  explicitly  es chewed in Tovar. See 541 U.S. at 92.  22  No. 12 2614  tion  prevented  him  from  actually  understanding  the  choice  at  the  time  of  his  waiver.  The  factors  discussed  above the  strategic nature of Kidd s decision, his presence of mind dur ing  both  waiver  hearings,  and  the  fact  that  the  trial  court  never had a reason to doubt his lucidity indicate that it was  not objectively unreasonable for the Illinois Appellate Court  to  discount  Kidd s  expert  testimony  in  light  of  what  oc curred  on  the  record.  Even  Kidd s  strongest  experts  could  only  speculate  as  to  Kidd s  state  of  mind  at  the  time  of  the  waiver. As such, Kidd has not put forth  clear and convinc ing  evidence   to  rebut  the  state  court s  factual  finding  that  during the two weeks in which he persisted in his request to  proceed pro se, Kidd understood the nature of his decision.   Kidd also argues  that he  was unable to serve  as an ade quate substitute for an attorney, stating that he cannot read  or write, has the vocabulary of a five year old, and has poor  memory  and  communication  skills.  These  deficiencies,  he  argues,  would  have  severely  hindered  him  in  his  ability  to  complete  basic  trial  tasks,  let  alone  try  a  capital  case.  Yet  when  it  comes  to  the  right  to  represent  oneself,  these  argu ments  are  not  relevant.   Faretta,  422  U.S.  at  836  ( [T]echnical legal knowledge, as such, [is] not relevant to an  assessment of [the defendant s] knowing exercise of the right  to defend himself. ); id. at 834 ( It is undeniable that in most  criminal  prosecutions  defendants  could  better  defend  with  counsel s  guidance  than  by  their  own  unskilled  efforts. ).  Whether Kidd could effectively represent himself is unrelat ed to whether his waiver was knowing and voluntary.  D. Voluntariness of Kidd s waiver  Kidd  also  claims  that  his  waiver  was  not  voluntary  be cause he  felt pressured into representing himself.  Kidd felt  No. 12 2614  23 that  he  had  no  choice   but  to  represent  himself  because  Strunck  suggested  that  he  would  not  provide  help  and  showed outright hostility toward Kidd.  The Supreme Court has said that a waiver is voluntary if  it  uncoerced.  Godinez,  509  U.S.  at  401  n.12.  The  Illinois  Ap pellate  Court  found  that  the  record  does  not  support  de fendant s  contention  that  he  was  abandoned  and  forced  to  proceed pro se.  This conclusion was not objectively unrea sonable.  As  the  trial  court  noted,  it  had  observed  Strunck  and  Kidd for over two years, throughout the first trial and after  the remand. The court never had reason to doubt their viable  working relationship. It is true that before Kidd requested to  go  pro  se,  he  had  asked  for  private  counsel  instead  of  Strunck. He said that he would rather that  anyone outside   of the public defender s office handle his case. But when the  court  asked  for  his  reasons,  Kidd  never  suggested  that  he  and Strunck had a difficult relationship or that Strunck had  abdicated his responsibilities. In fact, during the hearing on  Kidd s  motion  for  private  counsel,  he  acknowledged  that  Strunck  did a well good job on this case.  Kidd said that he  thought  he  would  have  a  better  chance  of  acquittal  with  someone  other  than  a  public  defender not  that  he  felt  Strunck  had  abandoned  the  case.  Moreover,  Kidd  did  not  mention Strunck during the two August hearings on his re quest  to  waive  counsel.  Finally,  Kidd  invited  Strunck  to  re turn as his counsel for sentencing and post trial motions.  Kidd  put  forth  affidavits  relaying  off record  interactions  between  him  and  Strunck.  He  also  introduced  his  postcon viction  attorney s  observations  of  Strunck s  hostile  attitude  toward  Kidd.  But  the  Illinois  Appellate  Court  was  not  un 24  No. 12 2614  reasonable in finding that the assertions in the affidavits did  not outweigh what the trial court observed on record before  and around the time of the waiver. This is especially true be cause  several  allegations  in  the  affidavits  occurred  at  indis tinct times or several years before or after Kidd s waiver. The  allegations in these affidavits are certainly troubling, if accu rate;  but  on  this  mixed  record,  we  cannot  conclude  that  it  was  unreasonable  for  the  state  court  to  discount  the  affida vits in favor of the record evidence.  III. Conclusion  For the foregoing reasons, we AFFIRM the denial of Kidd s  petition for a writ of habeas corpus. 

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.